I think I’m getting better at this… maybe.
I started our first batch of 100 tea seeds in May 2015. Of those original 100 seeds, 11 germinated. Only 11%! I’m confident that this was due entirely to my lack of tea knowledge and limited experience starting plants from seed.
On the first try:
- Soaked the seeds in water for 24 hours prior to planting
- Growing medium was mixture of organic potting soil for acid-loving plants, native soil, and worm castings
- Pots were 1-gallon plastic pots (except for one 4-gallon, self-watering, plastic pot)
- Planted 6 seeds in each 1-gallon pot, and the remaining seeds in the 4-gallon self-watering pot (28 seeds in that one!)
- Of the twelve 1-gallon pots, only one seedling germinated! In the 4-gallon pot, ten seedlings germinated.
- This was most likely due to the moisture levels in the pots– we had a very warm June and the 1-gallon pots were constantly drying out.
The next time around, in January of this year, I made some changes.
- Soaked the seeds in live, worm-casting tea for 24 hours prior to planting
- Growing medium was straight worm castings
- Pots were 30″ rectangular plastic (except for the same 4-gallon, self-watering, plastic pot that we used before)
- Planted 25 seeds in each rectangular pot, and the remaining seeds in the 4-gallon self-watering pot (25 seeds in that one too)